I was awakened this morning at 4:42 am by the repetitive tweeting of a bird – three evenly spaced trills over and over again. The sun did not rise until an hour later. So it got me thinking about singing before the dawn, singing when the sky is still totally dark and it is not at all certain that light will come. If the birds can do that, how about us humans?
Can we sing, give praise, and most importantly trust in the goodness of God before:
- we hear back about the new job
- we get the final diagnosis
- we know how to pay the bills
- our child hears back from the application to his/her favorite school
- we find a life partner
- the pregnancy test
- we courageously initiate a crucial conversation
- our blank page is filled with creative ideas
- the medicine starts working
- the move to a new city
- we know the plan!
For most of us, the singing and praise come later, after we see how God has worked. I want to be more like my bird friends. Choosing to radically trust when I have no human evidence to hold onto. Singing before the dawn.